Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Making Jesus Look Bad

In his recent book, “Damage Control: How To Stop Making Jesus Look Bad,” Dean Merrill makes the point that though all believers are ambassadors for Christ, there may be no real enforcement mechanism when it comes to claiming Christ.  In other words, literally anyone can claim, “I’m a Christian,” and get away with it.  This of course leads to a multitude of problems as people who claim to be followers Christ do plenty of un-Christlike things in His name.

This should raise a question we need to ask ourselves from time to time-am I part of that problem or part of the solution?  We are all profoundly imperfect, but on the whole, do we make Jesus look good?  If I claim to follow Christ, there need to be important ways in which my life is more like His than not.  If there are plenty of people out there making Jesus look bad, what can I do to counter that trend?

No comments: