Thursday, May 18, 2006

Oprah and Spiritual Leaders

Welcome to Every Thought Captive, I’m Phil Steiger.

If I asked you for a short list of important spiritual leaders in your life, who would make the grade? According to several recent polls, Oprah would make the top of that list for a lot of people. One author referred to her influence by saying she is “today’s Billy Graham.”

Though Oprah does many wonderful things for people with her wealth and influence, we need to be discerning enough to know that does not qualify anyone as a spiritual leader.

So for the Christian, what does qualify someone as a spiritual leader? First that person needs a deep and enduring relationship with Jesus Christ. It does not count if they just have a fuzzy sense of their own spirituality. And secondly they need to be able to speak into my life in harmony with the words and wisdom of Jesus Christ. What I need is not someone nice who tells me what they think; I need someone wise to lead me to Christ.

This has been Every Thought Captive. I’m Phil Steiger, pastor at Quail Lake Community Church and Director for Dayspring Center for Christian Studies. For more information please visit, everythoughtcaptive.org.

No comments: