Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Barna-Commitment to Christ

Welcome to Every Thought Captive, I’m Phil Steiger.

Barna recently performed a survey that measured people’s commitment to church and to developing one’s commitment to Christ. To the issue of developing a deeper relationship with God and doing whatever it took to maintain that relationship, just over 50% of all people agreed, and of those under the age of 40 only 44% agreed.

Pursuing a relationship with Christ is the primary thing. I can rarely control or manipulate the tides of my life and make them go the way I want them to, but I do have direct access to my own decision to deepen my relationship with Christ. Jesus did not lightly say, “seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and these things will be given to you as well.” A kingdom mindset is preoccupied with building an almost conversational relationship with Christ, and it creates a foundation upon which I am better able to interact with the tides of life the way Christ would if he were living my life.

This has been Every Thought Captive. I’m Phil Steiger pastor at Quail Lake Community Church and Director of Dayspring Center for Christian Studies.

No comments: