Thursday, February 09, 2006

1 John 1-I Touched Him

Welcome to Every Thought Captive. I’m Phil Steiger.

If I were to ask you to describe a person you have known that has had a great impact on your life, where would you begin? Many of us might describe the first meeting, significant life events involving the person, or a slew of other details. When the apostle John opens his first epistle, he does much of the same thing in describing Christ.

The first four verses of 1 John 1 are full of sensory language. John saw, touched, perceived, and heard Christ, and that was the Christ he wanted to communicate to others. When John describes Christ to his readers he begins with, “I touched him!” To John, Jesus was a real person in real time touching the lives of real people.

Our discipleship should be filled with the kinds of personal experiences that result in the same tangible sense of reality-may we be able to tell others, “I touched him!”

This has been Every Thought Captive. I’m Phil Steiger, pastor at Quail Lake Community Church, and Director of Dayspring Center for Christian Studies. For more information, please visit everythoughtcaptive.org.

No comments: